Do you remember that one place you always wanted to live in? Would you like to get a taste?

In the second semester of the second year (semester 4), bachelor students spend a mobility semester abroad. Beyond the rewarding human experience, it is also an opportunity to broaden specific skills with courses not delivered locally.
Depending on the chosen university, the language of study will be the language of the country or English.
IMPORTANT: For BiCS students, the host universities are distributed amongst the students according to the their grades in Semester 1. It is the grades a student gets from Semester 1 that will decide if you will get your top choice. Students with better Semester 1 grades will have priority over the others.

3 Types of Mobility

Lists of UL Mobility Partners

Roadmaps for Students Going on Mobility

Incoming Students

Incoming students doing their mobility semester at the University of Luxembourg can select courses from the BiCS.

The following rules are specific to the BiCSS to determine which courses can be included in the learning agreement of an incoming student:

– Optional courses: Optional courses may not always be open each year and each semester, thus you need to contact the faculty single point of contact for mobility to be informed about which optional courses are open. See here for more information.

– Bachelor Semester Project (BSP) course: The BSP course is NOT OPEN to incoming students. That means you have to look for other courses that would allow you to collect the 10 ECTS offered by this course.

– Online (OL) course: The OL course is NOT OPEN to incoming students. At BiCS there is (at least) yet another optional course in semester 4 meant to allow incoming students to get 4 ECTS.


Is mobility mandatory?

For most people, yes. However, it is possible to get exempted according to the following criteria:

– a diploma of at least 4 semesters of university studies at a university abroad

– received at least 30 ECTS or equivalent from a university abroad and validated by the course director via a validation des acquis for your BiCS studies

– a medical certificate showing that you suffer from a medical issue that requires special treatment and/or you have a handicap that does not allow a mobility

– a composition of household (composition de ménage) showing that you have family obligations which prevent you from leaving home for a prolonged period

– for third country nationals: a high school diploma granted in that country

If you wish to get exempted, you should contact the mobility office at ASAP.

Can I go on mobility on any other semester than 4th?

No, BiCS students are required to go on mobility on semester 4.

When should I start looking for universities?

Ideally, students should start looking for universities right after the first Mobility information session. However, there isn’t a set-in-stone start date. You can start looking for host universities in any program you want until application deadlines that will be communicated with you in the information session. (Usually around February/March)

When should I decide what courses I want to take?

Students are responsible of choosing the courses that they will be taking. They will have to declare it in the learning agreement. (Received approx. around Oct-Nov)

It is adviced that students look for the courses that they want to take as they are choosing their top three host university picks.

When and how am I supposed to arrange accomodation?

Accomodation is completely the student’s responsibility and not the UL mobility office’s, nor the host university’s mobility office’s.

However, host universities often contact incoming students and offer them student housing options.

Outgoing students should be considering accomodation as one of the choosing criteria when they are choosing their top 3 picks.

Students should start looking for accomodation when they get their final host university acceptance AT THE LATEST.

What happens if I don't acquire all the credits that are in my learning agreement?

A student who has not earned all the credits listed in his/her learning agreement may take make-up courses at the host university. If not, the program director will determine the courses or work at the University through which the student can make up the credits not obtained. Reference: Règlement des études du 17 septembre 2021

I got all of my credits during mobility, but I can't see them on my transcript. What do I do?

Mobility ECTS are entered into the student’s Transcript of Records (TOR) once the UL examination board has validated them. If you can’t see your credits, that means that the mobility office sent the information to BiCS’s Study Program Administrator (SPA) BEFORE the examination board has taken place.

This is the official procedure, and there is not another one.

Thus, if you don’t see your mobility’s ECTS showing in your TOR, then you need to contact the mobility office to request explanations.

CONTACT : Administrative information

The Outgoing Mobility Office is in charge of the administrative part of your mobility file. it will remain at your disposal to assist you and facilitate your mobility procedures.


International Relations Office (Bureau des Relations Internationales – Mobility* (BRI)
Belval Campus
Maison du Savoir, 5th floor
2 avenue de l’Universite
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette
Make an appointment on Affluences